Saturday, July 9, 2011

Not the Four Seasons

Tim finally persuaded me to go to his hog lease in east Texas ( I believe this was the end of April). We packed up the kids and drove for five hours. Now, I was not expecting the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons. But I was not prepared for the experience that awaited me either.

A hunting cabin is, by definition, not the cleanest or best organized place. I was told that there was toilet in addition to the outhouse. I was not told that is was a two room metal shack, with no running water, right next to the house of the guy who leases it. There was a bathroom, but with no working water it was of little use to me. On this weekend getaway I learned how long I can go without going to the restroom!

On the plus side, there was air conditioning and a working door to keep out the bugs. Although the view from the porch was the guy's fledgling garden, there were also horses to keep Bekah entertained. There was plenty of time to read and because of the lack of electronic facilities, I was able to force whichever child was with me to play games :)

Bekah had first hunting shift with Tim. Here she is all decked out. Paul's turn came after dark.


Another photo of Bekah and Tim.


Bekah made friends with the horse right away.


Me and my girl :)


Father and son...learning to shoot the rifle. I believe that after the aim lesson, he actually shot the shotgun instead. The rifle is pretty heavy and hard to hold up if you are small.


All said and done...I did not die ;)

No comments: